Basement Water Seepage
If your basement is damp, you need to have it fixed as soon as possible. However, if you have noticed water seepage in the basement, you are facing an emergency and need to have it handled as soon as possible. When water is seeping in, it means that the state of disrepair in which your foundation is is more advanced.
In such a situation, you will begin to see such structural problems such as floor and walls of your foundation buckling and bowing. Additionally, you will begin to see other unsightly things such as an increase in insects, musty odor, mildew and mold growth and even mud entering the basement after it has rained.
Understanding Leaking Basements
Many times when engineers, architects and builders are working on a building project, they do not take into consideration what it takes to keep the basement dry. They want to get away with the bare minimum and this can cause problems later on. Two things may not have been done:
- The walls of the basement, both exterior and interior, should have been made waterproof by adding a rubber membrane. This may have been skipped.
- The floor of your basement may not have been protected properly under the slab.
Unfortunately, many of them simply dig a hole and then place the home inside it without considering protection. This allows water seepage through the footer joint of the basement.
Measures Taken To Fix the Problem
- It is important to fix the cracks in the structural walls. Usually the foundation walls of the basement will begin to buckle, bulge, bow and crack if nothing is done. It is important to handle this as soon as possible.
- You will need to install a French drain in the basement to prevent water from coming in. This will reduce the hydrostatic pressure that is created when the soil that sits around the foundation walls begins to free and thaw in winter.
- Ensure that you have put in good basement waterproofing. This will reduce the humidity and moisture in the basement and eliminate the growth of microorganisms such as mildew and mold, which are harmful to your health.
- Finally, get a dehumidifier to get rid of the basement smell. You will also be happy to know that your energy costs will reduce as well.
With these steps, you will effectively get rid of water seepage and the damage it causes. For more information, please contact us today!