Option 1 – Total Excavation
In this method, we dig around the exterior of the home’s foundation all the way down to the footing. After the walls are completely exposed, the original footer tiles are inspected and replaced as needed. The wall is then sealed with waterproofing mastic (tar) and industrial plastic sheeting. Gravel is then poured over the newly installed drain tile for water filtration purposes, and the dirt is back-filled.
- Protects outside walls from cracking and seepage.
- Enhances outside drainage system.
- Addresses 1 of 4 ways moisture affects your foundation.
- Most labor intensive
- May compromise exterior landscaping.
- Warranty limited to foundation walls where system was installed.
- Does not address overall relative humidity which causes mold growth.
Option 2 – Interior Systems
An interior pressure relief system may also be used to prevent moisture entering the foundation. When contractors talk about basement waterproofing, this is usually one of the solutions they utilize. Typically, this involves opening the floor around the interior perimeter of the basement, digging a trench, and placing perforated drainage pipe and gravel around the footer. The contractor also installs ‘weep-holes’—small, 1/2″ to 3/4″ holes in each cinder block cavity. This relieves any water pressure that may have been trapped inside hollow cinder block walls. The holes are covered with a plastic molding or styrene panel before the floor is re-poured.
- Effective at removing hydrostatic pressure at base of foundation.
- Least expensive waterproofing option.
- Does not disturb landscaping around outside of house.
- Addresses 2 of the 4 ways moisture gets in the foundation.
- Less effective on it’s own, does not account for exterior surface water.
- Does not address cracking or seepage in the foundation walls.
- Warranty limited to areas in the floor where interior drain tile was installed.
- Does not address overall relative humidity of the air.
Option 3 – Multi-Step Systems
Our patented Multi-Step Basement Waterproofing System represents the combined benefits of all available basement waterproofing methods. The Multi-Step system addresses both floor seepage as well as wall seepage, while effectively helping draw water away from your home’s foundation. And with the addition of the E-Z Breathe Ventilation System, relative humidity of the air in your home can also be managed to prevent dangerous mold growth.
- Best option for creating a useable space and protecting your investment.
- Effective at removing hydrostatic pressure under and around foundation.
- Protects foundation walls from further cracking and seepage.
- Warranty covers walls and floor.
- Addresses 4 of the 4 ways moisture affects your foundation.