Why Should You Consider Basement Waterproofing?
Okay, let’s face it. Basement waterproofing isn’t the most glamorous of all home improvement services. It’s often overshadowed by it’s flashier granite counter top cousins, or out-shined by its ever popular older brother, roofing.
The Importance of Basement Waterproofing
But more and more, we’re seeing the true importance of basement waterproofing come to light. You see, a lot of people remain content to just let it be. “Ah, just forget about the basement- we only use it for storage anyway. We’re never down there, why pour thousands of dollars into it?!” This is a neglectful mindset and can lead to negative health consequences down the road for you and your family. Not good!
Well, for some, that will never change. And we can throw all the health risks and property value loss figures we want at ’em, but they’re never going to see the value. And that’s fine. But for all those with a shred of concern over the well-being of their foundation, and most of all the health of their families (click here for more information from the EPA website), you have to consider basement waterproofing.
Here are some quick facts to get you started on your path to basement health expertise:
- Odor present in the basement or crawl space can be a sign of moisture.
- Someone in the house is getting allergies or is sick more often is a warning sign.
- Mold only takes 24-48 hours to grow, with a relative humidity of just 60%.
- Floor and wall cracks are a sign of a moisture buildup, or “hydrostatic pressure.”
- Windows (or doors) upstairs don’t open as easily anymore, sign of excess moisture.
- Downspouts that overflow when it rains hard could mean a storm backup.
- Basement appliances or fuse box rusting out mean relative humidity is too high.
Okay, I’m thoroughly worried, what do I do now? Well, don’t be worried. There are plenty of things you can do to ensure no long term health risks or foundation damage are sustained.
Luckily, basement waterproofing has evolved so much that maintaining a dry basement is virtually down to a science. Through the installation of continuous interior and exterior drain tile and a powerful sump pump, the water that once caused cracks, mold, and mildew can now be gone for good. Contact us for more information about basement waterproofing.